Dates to Remember:
- November 20: “Twas the Night Before Christmas – walking to Truckee High School for performance
- November 23-27: No School – Thanksgiving Break – ENJOY!
- December 3: Nevada County Library
- December 9: Minimum Day – School dismissed at 1:00 pm
- December 17: Celebration of Learning 6:00 – 7:30 pm
- December 18: Pajama Day
- December 21 – January 1: Winter Break! LET IT SNOW!
- January 4, 2016: Return to school
I’ve Been Working on the Railroad: Students continue to CHUG along on our Transcontinental Railroad Expedition. As students continue to learn about the nitty gritty to one of our country’s greatest achievements, we are also learning about the economic and cultural effects of the railroad. Students have been hard at work, taking notes from non-fiction texts, creating a timeline of events, and writing historical fiction friendly letters from the viewpoint of a Chinese laborer on the Central Pacific Railroad.
Questions to ask your child about their learning:
- Why was building the railroad over the Sierra Nevada difficult?
- What were some of the obstacles the Central Pacific Railroad workers faced while building the railroad?
- Explain the “Race to the Finish” and how did the two railroad companies celebrate?
Currently, we are working on our Final Product, Chautauqua, which is a first person account of a historical figure. Each student has chosen a key player on the Transcontinental Railroad to portray at Celebration of Learning on December 17. Now is a great time to begin working on your outfit (costume) for your performance. Students know what type of outfit to wear, but if you have questions, please ask. Continue reading Welch Crew News: November/December 2015